When it comes to changing up a room and making it more interesting, rather than buy new furniture, sometimes all it takes is painting a room in the interior of the home in a new color. While painting a room inside the house can be a pain, learning how to do it the right way will save you some time and headache. Here are some interior painting tips that will make the painting process smooth and pleasurable.
The first tip is to roll the entire height of the room’s wall and keep wet edges to avoid those pesky lap marks. For those that do not know what lap marks are, they are the ugly stripes along the wall caused by uneven buildup of paint layers. They happen when people roll over partially dried paint. To avoid these, ensure there is always a wet edge.
We all know that blue tape that is used to mark off where we do not want the paint to go. The biggest mistake people make is pulling the tape off while the wall paint is dry. This sounds like the obvious thing to do, but really it is not. The paint gets on the tape and forms a very thin layer, so when individuals pull the tape off, it can tear off pieces of the dried paint, causing cracks on the paint. Always wait a minimum of 24 hours before taking off the tape. To take off the tape properly, take a sharp box cutter or utility knife and slice through the thin layer to ensure a clean rip of tape.
Here are some other great tips people should be aware of:
- Always paint the trim first before painting the walls or the ceiling. The paint from the trim will get on the walls, but that can easily be covered when starting to paint the walls. There is no need for tape or being neat, just concentrating on smooth brush strokes.
- Prime and texture all wall patches to prevent a blotchy finish with the paint.
- Use cotton drop cloths and not plastic as it will protect the floor much better.
- Mix paint cans together to ensure even, consistent color (sometimes paint colors vary between cans).
These atlanta house painting tips will help to ensure that your painting task is easier and less time consuming.
Latest posts by Archie Deese (see all)
- We have big news!Welcome Steve Millice, our Director of Business Development! - April 17, 2017
- Spring Tips for Your Home’s Exterior - March 20, 2017
- It’s Time To Refresh Your Home’s Exterior! - February 27, 2017